Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Best Explanation Yet

The N-word.

And who has the permission/right to use said word.

OK.

Clearly, this is a touchy subject.

But the video I've included provides the best explanation that I've seen on it yet.

Before I post the video, some thoughts.

Yes.  I know.

You're thinking . . . here she goes, on her one-woman philosophical journey.

No.  It's not that deep, nor am I.

All I know for sure is, this word has so many negative connotations.  I understand the argument that the rappers/artists use when they litter their lyrics with it.  I think it's an effort to take the "sting" away.

However, I'm reminded of the official dress code here in the UAE for women, which is basically to cover up from neck to toes.  Any yet, all of the malls have stores that sell some of the raciest clothes on the market.

If you don't want folks to wear this kind of clothes, don't sell it.

Likewise, if you're offended by other folks - other than Black folks - using this word, don't use it and throw it around casually, as if it's OK.

Part of the argument is a generational one.

I'm pretty sure my sons, and young folks their age, have a different take on this. They probably haven't seen, witnessed, or experienced the hatefulness associated with that word, certainly not to the degree that folks my age and older have.

So, what's the answer, then?

I don't know, but I like this guy's take on it.

What do you think?

http://vimeo.com/43636793
 

No comments:

Post a Comment