Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Through Thick and Thin

I'm so grateful for the men in my world, beginning with my brothers.

One of the lasting lessons Mom taught us was to "look after" each other, no matter what.

That started early when Forrest, who is ten years older than me, was busy most days babysitting my youngest brother, Terry and I.

He was fortunate to have a mentor and role model who guided him to college.  When it was time for me to go to school, he became my mentor and role model as he directed my steps and paid my way.  I would not have made it through college without his guidance and help.

When my twenty-year marriage came to an end and I was wallowing in self pity, it was my brothers who rallied around me.

When I was raising Ben and Frankie alone through the teenage years, they were in my corner.

When the boys graduated from college, they were there, standing with me.

When Ben had his accident, they came and provided tremendous support.

When I was living alone enjoying the freedom that comes from an empty nest, they were there cheering me on.

When I decided to make this journey so far from home, they were my champions, encouraging me every step of the way.

When it was taking forever-and-a-day to get final word on this move, they were there providing day-to-day support, refusing to let me give up on my dream.

Now that I'm here, they continue to cheer me on.

Have we always been this close?

No.  The many years between us was a barrier when we were younger.

But when Mom died, we made a conscious effort to stay in touch, and to be there for each other, no matter what.

I hope that you have a special relationship with your siblings.  If not, let me encourage you to do whatever it takes to get to that place.

I know my brothers will always correct me when I'm wrong; laugh at me when I goof up, and cry with me when I hurt.

So, to Willie, Forrest and Terry (deceased), thanks for always being there for me, no matter what.










No comments:

Post a Comment