Search This Blog

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Temperatures Rising

We've been in triple digit heat for weeks now.  Some days don't seem quite as hot as others because of the warm breeze blowing.

Interestingly, in this heat, folks only drink water at room temperature.  None of the local folks will touch ice water.

One of our nurses can by and asked me for a bottle of water, which I gladly gave her.  She then attempted to reprimand me because it was cold.  She was quickly set straight.  In my world, in this heat, it will only be ice water.

Also fascinating is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any personal swimming pools either.  The only ones I know of are located in the hotels, and in apartment complexes.  I'm not sure if they're don't have them because of the custom of modest dress or the logistics of getting massive amounts of water out here.

As I said, we have a pool where I live that is on the roof of one of the buildings.  If it's 111 degrees on the ground, it must be 121 degrees on the roof!  That water is probably as warm as bath water.

Me, swimming?  No thanks.

Today I was at the mall and saw a guy sitting outside of Starbucks drinking coffee . . . in triple digit heat.  I was hot for him.

Thankfully, there is air conditioning, and it is everywhere.

I'm reading a moving story of a British woman who was here at the beginning of the wealthy period when money from the oil wells was (and still is) in great supply.  Her husband was a contractor for the Sheikh.  The Sheikh's two sons lived with her and her family in London, when they were there for school.  Her writing captures life 40 years ago, at the beginning of the extraordinary growth when she traveled back and forth and was spending a great deal of time here.  Forty-one years ago, the nationals were nomads living in tents in the desert.  Forty years ago, was the start of the mega-masions and skyscrapers seen all over this country today.

She speaks of daily blackouts when the local power source couldn't handle all of the electricity needed to cool the buildings.  Gratefully, that is no longer an issue.

Much of the book takes place here in Al Ain, and when she describes landmarks, I've seen these places, first hand.

Wherever you are, as summer quickly approaches, and you think about complaining about the weather, remember the heat I've described in these pages.  Chances are, those memories will cause you to be very thankful.

Sending cool thoughts your way.






No comments:

Post a Comment