Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!


I'm writing this on New Year's Eve.  I can hear the music, especially the rhythmic drums as they set the stage for the celebration.  People were gathered in the bar, opting to drink first, then eat.

Since it has been decades since I've seen the new year arrive, I thought, no sense in changing that now.  Besides, somewhere in the world it is already 2013.

2013.  Can you believe it?  I can remember like it was yesterday when we rolled into the year 2000 and what a big deal that was.  And now.  Now we're into the second decade of the millennium.  Crazy how fast time is flying.

We went to see the animals at Amboseli National Park this morning early, and then again late afternoon.  The treat was seeing two male lions from afar, then they moved closer, until they crossed the street right in from of us.  That made our day.

Tomorrow right after breakfast, we leave for our journey back to Nairobi.

I've missed posting, and I have especially missed the Internet, but I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.

The Kenyans that I met were so warm and welcoming.  They all greeted me/us by saying "make yourself at home," and you get the impression that they really meant it.  They seemed especially excited to see someone who looked like them, but was not from Africa.

Side note - Sorry that I have posted these daily writings late.  It's been a flood, I know.  Read what you can.  Check out the pictures, and move on.   I promise not to be mad at you.

Side note 2 - I inquired about visiting the American Embassy here, but was told it is way out of the city,  after is was bombed by Al Qaeda in 1998, along with the one in Tanzania.  It was rebuilt fortress-like to protect it, and the people who work there.  I decided to wait and visit the one in Abu Dhabi.

Side note 3 - All vehicles entering the hotel were checked for bombs by a guard at the gate, with a long mirror extending under the car.  This happened in New Delhi, too.

Side note 4 - There were several check points along the way, with spiked strips across the highway that were manned by armed police or soldiers.  We were told they were checking for illegal cargo coming in the country from Tanzania.

Side note 5 - Huge trucks transport everything throughout the country, as the railway system is non-functioning.  Most of the roads were two-lane, so weaving in and out of them along the road as we passed them, was colorful.  

There is a city tour of Nairobi that is supposed to happen later this morning.  Then we head to the airport for our night flight home.

Finally, I have video of the ride along the way back to Nairobi, but it has "disappeared."  Here's hoping I will discover where it's saved on my computer, to share it with you later.

As always, thanks for sharing this with me.

Herb were planted along the walkway at the lodge.

This is in Amboseli National Park.
The views were breathtaking.

A young girl carrying a baby on her back.

Kenya's version of a bodega, at a gas station.

I've seen this a lot.
These are large bottles, maybe water bottles,
getting readied to be carted away.

No comments:

Post a Comment