Search This Blog

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Family & Friends

What a trip!

I'm on the last leg of my three-stop traveling journey back to the US, and each stop has been wonderful.

It began with a visit with Frankie and his family.  I arrived in New York after a 17-hour flight feeling fine, but went to bed and woke up with an incredible pain in my right knee.  Although I wasn't feeling well, the joy of seeing everyone supplanted this painful intrusion.  Zadie is quite the talker now and it was so much fun chatting with her, as she soundly won in the game of "negotiating with Grandma."

Frankie's daughter, Zadie Faye @ 2.5 years old


Next stop . . . San Francisco.

Here I met my newest granddaughter Milu, and what a treat that was!  She's an absolute sweetheart.

Ben's daughter, Milu @ 5 months

I made this trip at this time to attend Ben's PhD graduation (in civil engineering) from UC Davis.  There was no doubt, of the 1000 graduates, 800 of those being PhDs, I was the proudest mother in the building.  

Ben and Milu

The graduation day began with a luncheon to recognize and celebrate those people who were instrumental in helping Ben to reach this goal.  More specifically, the people who helped to save his life and point him in the right direction.  Although this may sound dramatic in retrospect, to those who lived the painful period with us, these words aren't strong enough.  If I thanked them every day for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be enough to show my appreciation.

Then I raced from the ceremony to meet other friends in Sacramento.  With each person I reconnected with, I realized all over again, just how blessed I am to have such marvelous people in my life.

People I've known for years.

People who were there with me through the good times and bad.

People who have made my life richer and more meaningful.

I send my sincere thanks to all.

Next . . .

Final stop . . . Houston, to see my brothers.

I am one of the luckiest people in the world to call these guys family.


Forrest and I at Joel Osteen's Church today



In two days, I'll be headed back home for the last two weeks of school.

Although I've tried to express it, I lack the articulation to share just how meaningful this time in the US has been. I return to Abu Dhabi with my heart filled with joy and thanksgiving.

Sending smiles across the miles . . .

Your blogging buddy.















1 comment:

  1. Hey! I finally figured out how to follow your blog...cute grandkids!

    ReplyDelete