Search This Blog

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Good Book

I found myself doing something I have not done in a while - I went to bed reading a book, and anxiously picked it up first thing this morning to see what happened next. And this was a workday morning, no less.

The book is entitled, Defending Jacob by William Landay.  It reminds me a lot of The Dinner by Herman Koch.  Both are suspenseful, in a quiet sort of way.  There're no gore or scary parts.  The suspense comes from the pealing back of emotions and how the characters deal with life changing events they must face.

After re-reading my endorsement, I realized there's nothing I've said to make you wanna grab one of these books, but don't dismiss them because of my wanting literary critique.

They're better than I've described.

Promise.

Now, so you don't mistake me for a some bourgeois literary giant . . .

Know this . . .

For every thought-provoking book I read, I wallow in the shallow end of the reading "pool" devouring at least five romance novels.

Yes.  

They are mostly . . .

Mindless,

Plot-less,

And . . .

Gratuitous.

Yet,

They are my literary junk food.

As soon as I conquer overcoming actual junk food, I'm gonna work on this.

Promise.







No comments:

Post a Comment