Search This Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Great Article on Siblings

In the New York Times today, there's this wonderful article about the power of the relationship of siblings.  The link is below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/opinion/sunday/bruni-the-gift-of-siblings.html?src=me&ref=general&_r=0

I thank God for my brothers.  I had three.  Now there are two.

I was closest to Terry (decreased) because he was a year older than me, so we literally grew up together.  Willie is fourteen years older (71) and Forrest is ten years older (67).

Willie left home when I was four, heading to the military.  I didn't really get to know him until I was an adult.  His choices in life have made it more difficult to be close, but we still try.

Forrest has been like a father to me.  Much more so than our father ever was.

He's the one we all turn to for advice.  He can see things clearer than anyone I know.  He's also the one who will call you on your sh*t.  Everyone needs someone like him in their lives.

When it was time for me to go to college, he convinced Mom to let me leave Texas and go away to school, to his alma mater, Florida A & M University.  Believe me when I say, this was HUGE, MONUMENTAL!  Not only that, when the two year scholarship money that I received ran out, he paid for the remaining three years for me to complete school and earn my degree in pharmacy.

I don't know where I'd be without Forrest, and the positive influence he has had, and continues to have in my life.

When I want to laugh, I call Forrest.

When I want to vent, I call Forrest.

When I want to celebrate, I call Forrest.

Would it be different if I was married or in a relationship, maybe.

Here's what I know for sure.

I wouldn't be the person I am, without him.

The author of the above article lamented that we recognize Mother's Day and Father's Day, but we don't recognize our brothers and sisters.

Let's declare today Siblings Day.

Here's to you Forrest!




No comments:

Post a Comment