Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Cuba . . . One More Time

This really was one of the best trips I've had.  I encourage you to add it to your bucket list.

I've included some tips to getting around.  Forgive me if I've repeated something from a previous post.

Below is a business card of a guy in Cancun who helped us tremendously navigating to Havana.  He said flights and hotel rooms could be booked ahead of time thru him. This would definitely reduce the anxiety that we experienced with so many unknowns.




There was no problem using ATMs in Cancun.

A currency converter would be helpful.  I have one on my phone that is a lifesaver. It's linked below.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/converter-plus-units-currencies/id370146222?mt=8

We had to secure Mexican pesos in cash to purchase the plane tickets to Havana.

We also needed to purchase a visa to enter Cuba.  They were $25 each.  We paid for these with US dollars.  I'm not sure if this was a requirement or not.  Assume that it is though.  Interestingly, in my experience, most visas require US currency.

Remember to bring US cash into Cuba, and convert it at the airport.  With rare exception, you'll need to pay for everything with cash.  Remember also, US credit/debit cards are currently not accepted.  Hopefully this will change soon.

We didn't even try to bring cigars back, for fear the customs agents at the gate would be smoking them instead.  In hindsight, it looks like we may have been able to. Maybe.

Check out the link below for more info.

http://qz.com/315114/americans-can-now-legally-import-cuban-cigars/

OK.

I promise.

This is the last post on Cuba . . . today.

Final thought -

Below is the airport tower in Cancun.  I love this and tried to get a photo but it was a dud.  This is one I found online.



No comments:

Post a Comment