Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

An Update on a Tortured Genius

An excerpt from the LA Times -

For all his setbacks, he still finds hope and sanity in the music
By Steve Lopez

have been a transporter and caretaker of various musical instruments for nearly 13 years. A clarinet and an electric keyboard sit in corners of my office. There’s a cello in my garage at the moment, waiting for a ride to the repair shop.

Nathaniel Ayers asked for an inventory update on Christmas morning, after I picked him up at the South Bay mental health rehabilitation center where he lives.

He brought his string bass and trumpet with him. Like I’ve said before, he’s a one-man band, and he never travels light.

It’s been this way since I met the Juilliard-trained musician in 2005, when he lived on skid row with nothing but a two-string violin and a shopping cart containing his clothes and bedding.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-lopez-ayers-20171227-story.html


No comments:

Post a Comment