Search This Blog

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Wishful Thinking

An excerpt from the Washinton Post Editorial Board -

What a presidential president would have said about his first year

From time to time this year, we have offered alternative (read: imaginary) White House statements. We haven’t so much expected that Mr. Trump would take our rhetorical advice, though that would be welcome. Rather, we think it’s useful for all of us to remind ourselves that it doesn’t have to be this way: that presidential leadership, even if strongly partisan, can be civil, tolerant and inclusive.

The issue is substance, not form. With that in mind, we herewith offer some end-of-year presidential thoughts in chunks of 280 characters or fewer. Call it a more presidential tweetstorm:

“We got a lot done this year, I’m proud of that. Justice Gorsuch. Rolling back regulations. The corporate tax cut — it will jump-start investment and jobs. I know the economists disagree, but you know what? They’ve been wrong before, and I think they’ll be wrong this time too.”

“But as I look back, I realize I’ve fallen short. The night I won, I promised you: ‘It is time for us to come together as one united people . . . I will be president for all Americans, and this is so important to me.’ That’s what I said!”

“Well, all Americans means all, right? Transgender people, including in the armed services. Muslims, from no matter which country. People who came as refugees. Children of immigrants. NFL players, of any race.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-a-presidential-president-would-have-said-about-his-first-year/2017/12/27/b8417f06-eb10-11e7-8a6a-80acf0774e64_story.html?utm_term=.41698be5002c


No comments:

Post a Comment