Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Calm in the Midst of the Storm

I'm grateful for two things tonight.

First, that I'm feeling better after spending most of the morning at the doctor's.  As I've mentioned several times before, we must have a doctor's note for all absences, or our pay will be docked.  More importantly, I want to document the fact that I am sick and not playing hooky.  I'm guessing some of the previous Western teaching staff took time off for fun things and got caught.  This is the system's way of preventing that.

Secondly, I'm grateful that the Libyan attack on the US Embassy was widely condemned in this area.  I've included a couple of links to headline stories in the paper today.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/africa/us-envoys-killing-causes-global-fallout?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Daily%2BNewsletter%2B13-09-2012

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/us-ambassadors-death-first-blood-to-the-bigots-on-both-sides

It seems so cowardly to me that the folks responsible for the anti-Islam / anti-Muslim rhetoric, are now in hiding.  They are the ones who should be facing these angry mobs.

When we will learn to respect other people's right to believe what they want to believe?

When will we, as Americans, stop trying to impose our beliefs on others?

The violence in this area is the direct result of the stupidity of many, particularly the makers of this inflammatory film, to incite.  And of course, many of the folks on this end, who are looking for a reason to fight, think they are speaking for all of us.

It's a mess.

Don't worry about me though.  Things are fine here.  Inshalllah.

May God's peace surround those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy.










No comments:

Post a Comment