Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Death Up Close

One of our students was killed in a traffic accident over the weekend. She was a 5th grader, probably 10 years old.  We found out about it when the teacher took roll.  A social worker was called in to talk to the girls, and did so for about 10 minutes.  That was it.  We weren't allowed to spend any more time discussing it.

The thinking is, it was God's will and it shouldn't be questioned.  Chances are very good, she was buried within 24 hours of her death, as is the custom.

If this happened in the US, we would have had grief counselors, and we would have spent a good part of the day remembering the student.  There would have been writing and/or drawing opportunities, to help the students deal with, and try to understand, what happened.

Not saying which one is right or wrong, but noting the distinct differences in the way death is handled.

Side note - Fatal accidents happen often here because it is rare to see folks wearing seat belts.  This student was ejected from the car on impact.  Her brother is also a student at our school and was thrown from the car and is in critical condition. The same thing happened to one of our teachers the day before school started.  She was hit and thrown from the vehicle.  She suffered serious injuries, but is expected to survive.

In other news -

I received an advisory from the US Embassy today, warning US citizens to be vigilant and mindful when traveling during these turbulent times.  They were not expecting any issues here in the UAE, but warned of travel outside the country.  I received this information because I registered with the embassy when I arrived.

As I end this -

Here's hoping your day is filled with good things.

And don't forget to . . . forgive.

I know.  I know.  I'm preaching to the choir, but mostly I'm preaching to myself.









No comments:

Post a Comment