Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

A Mother's Sorrow Shared

An excerpt from Vox -

My 6-year-old daughter died at Sandy Hook. You never move on.
Updated by Nelba Márquez-Greene

I am waiting for the church to be as outraged about gun violence as much as we seem to be about who pees where in a Target bathroom.

"I am sorry that our tragedy here in Sandy Hook wasn't enough to save your loved ones."

Here is my message to those families in Florida:

I am sorry. I am so, so sorry. I am sorry that our tragedy here in Sandy Hook wasn't enough to save your loved ones. I tried, and I won't stop trying.

Don't you dare even listen to even one person who may insinuate that somehow this is your loved one’s fault because they were gay or any other reason. Nor is it God's wrath. They did that to us in Sandy Hook, too. And it broke my heart. You will receive love from a million places. Embrace it. Take good care of yourself. This will be a forever journey.

Some ugly will come your way too. When you speak up about gun violence in America, you get death threats. You get made fun of. You get people telling you your child's death isn't even real. You have to close down your personal Facebook account because you get tired of harassing messages. You block enough people on Twitter to fill a football stadium. You have to hire security at fundraising events because you don't know who will show up. Delete. Ignore. Let it go.

Your loss on Sunday will bring out the worst and the best in all of us. May we commit to being our best selves in honor of what you now bear.

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/14/11931484/orlando-shooting-sandy-hook



No comments:

Post a Comment