Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Blinded by His Charm

Excerpts from the Huffington Post -

My Regrets About How I Asked O.J. Simpson About Domestic Abuse
by Roy Firestone 

Given the horrible events to come, I wish I had known more, questioned more, and I fault myself for that. I still do to this day. The clip which appears in the documentary makes it appear that I was chummy with Simpson. It makes it appear, even two years BEFORE the murders, that I was dismissing the seriousness of the issue of domestic violence.

~~~~~~~~~~

To be in any way seen as lighthearted, chummy or even mildly enabling some monstrous issue like that still haunts me 22 years later. The Simpson interview is one of the most tragic examples of how the media (including me) and the public trusted and accommodated their heroes, believing their mythology and perpetuating their deification. Even Marcia Clark told me that the LAPD was more interested in getting O.J.’s autograph at his home than investigating the warning signs of domestic violence. They weren’t doing their job.

Neither was he. My two cents.


No comments:

Post a Comment