Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Mama Said

Today, June 15th, is my Mom's birthday.  She would have been 97.

This day, like all others, I'm reminded of the many pearls of wisdom she shared with my brothers and I while we were growing up.

Like . . .

---Tell me who you follow and I'll tell you who you are.

---Birds of a feather flock together.

---Where there's smoke, there's fire.

---No matter where you are or what you're doing, somebody's watching.  What do they see?

---Always do more than expected, and you'll always have a job.

---It's your responsibility to greet people, what they do in response matters little.

---The folks that give you advice don't pay for your mistakes.

---It takes two people to fight.  You have a choice on whether or not to engage.

And my favorite . . .

In response to my going away to college, which was unheard of in those days, Mom would say to those who questioned that decision,

"The same God who took care of her here, will take care of her wherever she goes."

It is this last one that stays with me the most and gives me peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment