Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2011

Exploring

Today I ventured out and toured the city via The Big Bus Tours, which is a double decker bus that takes you to all of the major landmarks covering the entire city, with a personal audio commentary providing fascinating insights into the history and culture of the city.  It was wonderful!

Abu Dhabi Skyline
I picked it up at Abu Dhabi Mall and about halfway through, we stopped at Marina Mall.  This tour is a 24-hour pass of Hop-on, Hop-off, so you can stop and visit the sights at your leisure and hop on another bus in 30 minutes.

I thought Abu Dhabi Mall was spectacular until I walked in Marina Mall.  It takes glitz to a whole new level.  With more than 300 stores, it's the largest mall in the city. That's saying a lot because there're at least a dozen different malls, each fancier than the rest.  Marina Mall is magnificent. This is the one with the domed restaurant that gives a spectacular view of the city. Truly amazing!  The picture below is one of the entrances.  Sorry I couldn't figure out how to turn it right side up. These new fangled machines!  The men pictured are the heads of state from each of the city/states.

Entrance to Marina Mall
Marina Mall - Inside
I saw my first sign of school kids today when little ones were on a field trip visiting an area called Heritage Village, a place that preserves the way of life from long ago. They're pictured below.


There is this area downtown that has statues in the middle of the street.  I didn't catch what the symbolism was for anything except for the coffee pot.  It represents hospitality.  The first photo is a professional one and the coffee pot alone is mine. I'm guessing you would have figured that out.



I hopped off the bus at Abu Dhabi Mall, went downstairs and did a little grocery shopping, hailed a cab and headed home.  And that my friends and family, concludes my adventure for the day.  Thanks for joining me.

Side note - In my UAE vs. US post yesterday, I forgot to mention cell phones. There's quite a difference.  Here you pay the full retail price for the phone but there is no monthly fee.  You buy a SIM Card to activate it with a local carrier and the card is good for a year.  You renew it annually.  My SIM Card cost 75 dirhams or just over $20.  I'm loving this!

Side note 2 - I saw grass today and everywhere I saw it, it was beautifully landscaped.  They used desalinated water from the Persian Gulf to take care of the grass and plant life.

Side note 3 - I moved past ear hustling to introducing myself to one of the ADEC teachers.  She's from the Bay Area (small world - right?), but moved here from Atlanta.  She's been here a month and hasn't started to teach yet, but she's gotten paid and she's gotten her furniture allowance.  She'll be working in one of the outlying cities.  Although she's had a month to acclimate, she has a friend who started the day after she got off the plane.  Having some time to acclimate is ideal. It was delightful meeting her and she shared some great info.  I found out we interviewed with Teach Away at the same place on the same day.  (It truly is a small world!).  No more ear hustling for me!

Side note 4 - This teacher's mother and father also teach and her mother has taken elementary kids to over 32 countries in a program called People-to-People International.  They study about a country and then go visit it.  How amazing is that? Her mother was also hired by Teach Away and may be joining her daughter here in the UAE.  By the way, these adventurous folks are . . . black folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment