Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

Lazy Day

View from my window
Usually I write these posts at night just before bedtime, but today I'm writing earlier because I can tell already bedtime will come soon tonight.  Maybe it's the jet lag catching up with me, but I'm tuckered today.

The pictures above and below are the ones I promised from the window in my room.  It doesn't give it justice, but you can get a visual of my surroundings.

It's funny.  I kept waiting for the vacant space to fill up with men praying, but instead there were guys playing cricket!  The reason I know the name of the area is because I noticed the sign for it when I went to the store earlier.  The dots you see are people.  I'm on the 7th floor.
EID Prayer Lot
I haven't mention the food here because I'm not sure what a lot of it is.  The breakfasts are really heavy though.  There're refried beans, onion rings, potatoes, sausage, along with olives and bitter pickles.  Thankfully, there's always cereal and toast, and sometimes yogurt and fruit.  I don't think lunch is emphasized here, thereby making breakfast more important.  Of course, I'm guessing.

Today at breakfast there were other ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council) teachers.  I didn't introduce myself, but enjoyed ear hustling (as Sam would say) or eavesdropping to the most of us.  The recurrent theme was the laid back culture.  As I've enjoyed the slower pace, I think the natives might be on to something.  I bet ulcers are non existent here.

I didn't got far today, staying close by to unpack.  My bags have been packed since the first week of October, so  it was nice to hang things up.  As deliberate as things move here, I expect to be in this hotel for a while.

It occurred to be yesterday that I haven't seen grass since I've been here.  I'm sure there is some, but not near me as afar as I can tell.

The weather is perfect.  It's been about 80 degrees with a light breeze off the water, making it feel even cooler.  Thankfully, there hasn't been any humidity.

In addition to sharing my experiences, the reason for the blog is to let you know that I'm OK.  As long as I'm posting frequently, you know things are good.  I expect to have to slow the pace when I start working, but until then, they'll be regular postings.

I hope that all of you have wonderful Thanksgiving.  I'd love to hear from you.  Please leave comments below or email me at fayesharpe@gmail.com.


2 comments:

  1. I am having so much fun reading about your adventures, please keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete