Search This Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

The list of things to be grateful for is especially long this year.  I was thinking of all of the wonderful things that have happened, plus the great friends in my life, my boys and their families, my brothers and their families, this fantastic opportunity to live and work abroad - are all incredible blessings.  If no other positive thing happened in my life from this day forward, I'd still need to thank God every day until I die for all of His goodness and mercy and for all that He's already done.

Yes, I pride myself on being able to cuss like a sailor, but I have sense enough to know from whom my blessings flow.  Thankfully, I never lost sight of that during the tough years.

I hope this finds you enjoying yourself wherever you are.

I ventured out to Abu Dhabi Mall today.  It is massive - four levels and hundreds of stores.  Mostly very high end.  It reminded me of the stores in Union Square in San Francisco.  Everything about this mall was elegant.  There were a few "regular" stores, too, like Starbucks and Virgin Records, but mostly it was signature stores from top designers, including a really racy lingerie shop. Clearly they're catering to the tourists because the native women look like nuns.  If the natives are wearing that racy stuff underneath their abayas, God help 'em.  That might be why there is no shortage of kids though.

Interestingly, on the ground floor of the mall, in the basement really, was a huge store like a Target or Wal-Mart.  There was a little of everything, including groceries.  It was different seeing this kind of set up - fancy stores on top and the economy one below.

I didn't have to go in to the office today.  Nothing more happens until the report from my physical is sent to the ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Council).  That's why I had a footloose and fancy day.

I paid another visit to the cell phone company and I'm happy to report I'm up and running.  (No R & B in the taxi today though.  See yesterday's post).  There is a row of about 8-10 of these mobile stores all together and they share their stock and expertise.  I went into one store and asked for something they didn't have, but the guy went to the next shop and got it for me.  The day before I was in a different store and I asked a question that couldn't be answered there, but he asked his neighbor next door.  And this is not just questions or little ticket items being swapped.  I saw this with an iPhone, too, where someone came and got one from the shop I was in for a customer next door.  Wonder how they balance their books because no one wrote anything down.  It's all done on the honor system.

One of this most striking things I've noticed, speaking of asking questions, is that the men here don't mind asking for help.  Be it directions, or help or advise, they ask.  I couldn't believe it when I first witnessed it and thought it was an anomaly, but I've seen it every day.  Our guys back home could learn a lesson from these fellows.

Did I mention the Lamborghini Showroom that's nearby?  I have to go and take a peak soon.  I'd never seen one up close before.  It's not something I would normally care about, but this is an amazing looking automobile.

When I got back home I chilled for a while and enjoyed the view from my window.  It is magnificent!  I'm hoping to include a picture of it soon.  Nearest to me is a large open, concrete fenced in area that I think is used for prayer.  There is a beautiful mosque that sits to the right of this area, and this looks like an overflow area for the mosque.  I'll see if I'm right tomorrow because Fridays are holy days here.  Just beyond that is a sea of white buildings - homes, offices and store fronts.  Beyond that is the skyline.  It's a breathtaking view at all times, but especially in the first morning light.

Last thing - I'm fascinated by the little things, I'm guessing you can tell by now.  Well, when you enter the rooms here, you have to put your room key (looks like a credit card) into a slot on the wall.  It controls all of the electrify in the room.  When you leave, you take the card out and everything, except the refrigerator, is automatically turned off.  Pretty clever, huh?

I hate it when people drone on and on, just for the sake of droning on with nothing much to say.  So, please forgive the length of these entries.  I'm like a kid in a candy shop though.  My learning curve is steep, but the experience is awesome and I just have to tell someone.  Thanks for being my somebody. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy thanksgiving to you too, Ma!
    We miss you here, but I can tell your having a blast.
    Loving the blog, please keep it up. its great to experience Abu Dhabi along side you!

    ReplyDelete