Search This Blog

Sunday, November 27, 2011

UAE vs. US

The following are differences, subtle and otherwise, that I've noticed since I've been here.

Let's begin with the work week.  Today is Sunday and a work day.  The work week is Sunday - Thursday.  Friday is a holy day.  Most retail stores are open on Saturday, but not other businesses.

Yesterday I went to the Pizza Hut next door and ordered a salad.  The salad bar was round, covered with a clear plastic dome.  Once I placed the order, the cashier used a remote control and the dome slowly lifted up, revealing the entries on the bar.  A picture is below.  It was so cool, I wanted the guy to make it go up and down again, but I settled for asking him to take a picture.



Remote controlled domed salad bar


Another difference is the cash drawers retailers and bankers use.  The bills don't lay flat, they're at an angle, making them easier to grab and easier to see how much you have.

The currency is the dirham.  One dirham is worth about about 27 cents.  (The cost of a ride on the public transportation bus across town).  Ten dirhams = $2.72 (The cost of a cab ride across town).  One hundred dirhams = $27.22; and one thousand dirhams = $272.23.  Thankfully, I have this wonderful app on my phone that comes in real handy when I dealing with all of this high finance.  Also, note the writing is in English.  It's in Arabic on the reverse side.  See picture below.



1000 Dirhams


Folks who can't find a parking spot, park in the middle of the driving lane here, making the traffic move on either side of the row of cars.  See picture below.



Overflow parking in the middle


Mercifully, all of the traffic signs are written in Arabic AND English.  I expect to be driving soon, and that alone is a lifesaver.  The locals are deliberate in most things, but not on the road.  The driving here is pretty ferocious.  Reminds me of New York City.

I figured out how to zoom and crop pictures, so I'm including a better shot of the view from my window from a few days ago.  Also included is a photo of the washer/dryer combo.  The washer works great, but I haven't mastered the art of drying.  A crash course in using it didn't help much.  Trial and error is my next approach.



View from my window - closeup




Washer/Dryer Combo


I cooked red beans and rice yesterday.  I know.  I know.  I said I wouldn't be cooking, but I was hungry for my staple.  The burners on the stove look like the bottom of an iron.  Thankfully, the beans and rice turned out OK enough to eat.

Each electrical outlet has its own on and off switch, which really came in handy the couple of times I plugged something in (with an adaptor) that threw a breaker in the fuse box, also located in the room.  This resulted in total darkness, and the first time it happened - a measure of pure panic.  Gratefully, there is 24-hour maintenance service.

My brother Forrest reminded me that this is a desert, which is probably why I haven't seen any grass.  They average four days of rainfall per YEAR!  The temperature has been really mild.  Highs in the 70's and lows in the 60's.  I'm told it's like this through February, then it starts to warm up again.

Finally, this is a dry country.  The only place you can find liquor legally is in the hotels.  Of course, that isn't a problem for me since I don't drink.  It makes the hotels popular hang outs for the locals though.

This concludes the lesson for today.  Thanks for humoring me with your attention.   More lessons to come, but like this time, you'll be warned up front and will know whether to proceed with the rest of the post.








2 comments:

  1. "Folks who can't find a parking spot, park in the middle of the driving lane"

    thats crazy!

    I'm very thankful NY isn't that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faye... and you are looking forward to driving in that mess? Remember to keep your cool. The salad bar thing does seem cool. It is crazy how more advanced they seem to be than us. Love reading about your adventures

    ReplyDelete