Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

First Day

I didn't sleep well last night . . . too excited about this great adventure.

Called the folks who were supposed to set up the meet at the airport and found out where my new hotel is, three doors down from the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC), our district office if you will.  It's a lovely space.  There's a full kitchen, although you know I won't be cooking, and a washer and dryer that is one machine that does both functions.  I saw one of these almost 30 years ago in Italy.  Wonder why this hasn't caught on in the US?

Tomorrow I get my physical, then I expect to find out where I'll be located.  After that, then they'll secure permanent housing for me.  I've been living out of suitcases for more than six weeks, so don't mind the delay.  In fact, I was expecting it.

Speaking of delays, it was crystal clear to me today why it took three months from start to finish in the hiring process.  Everything, and everyone is laid back.  Waaaaaay back!  The only seemingly frazzled woman was an Anglo who greeted me.

After checking in at the ADEC, I was given the day off to rest.  I used that time to learn my surroundings and get a new SIM Card for my phone.  It was sold at a tiny grocery store next door to the hotel.  Really simple process, but the phone isn't working yet.  The local carrier has to activate it and it hasn't happened yet. The number will be 971-050-917-4857.  I think.

Side note - the new SIM Card was larger than the original one, so I took it back to the store.  The guy who sold it to me wasn't sure what to do.  He asked a young guy who was in the store buying something if he know what to do.  As it turned out, he owned an iPhone and knew exactly what needed to happen.  He directed me to a mobile store a couple of miles away, then came back and insisted on giving me a ride to the store.  I love this place!

Later on, there was an issue when I tried to open a bank account here and I had to call Wells Fargo in the US.  I called using the phone option on the bottom left hand side of my gmail account.  The call had some static, but I called back and it was clear as a bell; sounded like the guy was next door.  So for all of you with gmail, keeping in touch that way is a real option.

The covered up ladies were out in force today.  They were all wearing abayas, the official dress of Arab women, and they were all black.  The hoochie mama kids I saw must be the exception to the rule.  Just proves that every culture has their rebels, and they're usually the kids.

I'm wired and excited, but exhausted, too.  Tonight will be an early one.  I hope to get back into my routine of going to bed at 8:00 routine real soon.  I need plenty of rest to function well.

It's 5:00 in the afternoon here, and 5:00 in the morning in Sacramento.  I love the fact that it's a 12 hour difference since our time changed earlier this month.  It makes it easier to deal with the difference.

As I expected, things are moving pretty fast.  Rather, I'm moving pretty fast to get everything situated in my private life before I begin work.

As always, thanks for following along.

Until next time.




1 comment:

  1. Faye!!! I loved hearing from you and knowing that you are quickly adjusting to your new adventures. I miss you already but I am loving reading all about your adventures. Take Care...

    ReplyDelete