Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

R & B

Today began with a physical.

I proceeded to the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) and marveled at how leisurely the pace was for everyone.  Folks were talking, sipping coffee and enjoying life.  I wonder how they would respond in a real emergency.  Would they know how to move quickly, if they had to?

Already, though, I'm appreciating the slower pace.  It'll be interesting how that relates to the schools and teaching here.

Thankfully, the physical was quick and painless, once we got in to see the health professionals. Of course, there was a bit of a delay.

Side note 1 - Every office, bank, or business I've been in has this elaborate coffee set up on a coffee table.  The coffee is usually in beautiful, very ornate carafes, on fancy trays.  But here's the really interesting point - there's someone who passes through the office every 15-20 minutes or so, collecting the used cups on the table, and also in the cubbies where the employees are working.  They are replaced by clean ones and the process keeps repeating itself every few minutes throughout the day.  There's also some sticky, fruity something that is usually present, too.  I had some coffee because refusing the offer is impolite, according to all of my 'living in the UAE" handbooks.  I graciously declined the fruity stuff (impolite or not).  Everyone digging in with their hands made it less appetizing and reminded me why I got scoops for the snacks I used to keep on my desk.

Side note 2 - Every office, store, bank, etc. has someone standing ready to help.  They run errands, carry bags, etc., and it's usually from a darker brown people than the one they're serving.  It wasn't long ago (about 50 years) that the local folks were the ex-pats working as servants in other countries.  It's only when oil was discovered that the tide turned for them.

Side note 3 - That brings me to the very obvious class distinctions.  When we walked into the clinic for our physicals, where there were two rows of chairs on either side of the door, all of the folks who were sitting on the left side of the room were moved to the right and we were directed to sit where they were sitting.  The guy with me noted the nationalities of the folks that were asked to more.  They were all from neighboring countries who come here for work.  They are not allowed to sit next to locals or folks that are seen as professionals.  This, too, reminded me of the segregated South that I was raised in.

And finally . . .

Side note  4 - I had to go to the local cell phone store to try and activate my phone.  It requires unlocking or jailbreaking to work in this country.  I downloaded a couple of programs, but neither worked.  If any of you know of one, please let me know.

Anyway, I hailed a cab in the parking lot of the hotel, told the guy where I wanted to go, and once we were clear on where we were headed, he changed the radio to an R&B station.  Talk about catering to your audience!  That gesture made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment