Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

So Long Sac!

This past Sunday I went to church.  Twice.

Yeah.  Yeah.  I know what you're thinking, "What's up with Faye?  Wasn't she the one who was opposed to any and every thing related to church?  Isn't she the one who quickly cut off folks when the topic of church/religion/Christianity came up?"

The answers are 1)  I grew up, 2)  yes, and 3)  yes.  At the risk of sounding preachy, I realized 16 years was long enough to hold a grudge for the pain and suffering I endured at the hands of good church folks.  I had to let it go and move on, for me.  So, that change of heart prompted me to go searching for a church again.  I found one that is good and feels right.

Anyway, I said all of that to say, I was inspired by something the preacher said and I decided then I would leave Sacramento this week.  I contacted Teach Away and confirmed that I could change my departure city from San Francisco to New York, so with that info, I set off to make plans to leave as soon as possible.

I promised a dear friend I'd be with her for surgery today, so tomorrow is the earliest I could depart.

Those of you who know me well, know that I'm very close to my brother, Forrest.  Since I still don't have a departure date for Abu Dhabi, I decided to go to Miami to spend time with he and his wife.  I didn't think I would have enough time, but this delay in affording me that opportunity.  (A side note - I was able to travel to Houston to see my oldest brother, Willie, in August.  That was a real treat, too).

Tomorrow I'm headed to Miami, then to New York, where I'll be able to see my grand baby once more before I leave for good.

This decision to travel east reminds me of our days of flying space available on United Airlines. Oftentimes you couldn't get a direct flight to your destination, but you took any flight that was headed in the right direction.  That's what I'm doing.  Moving in the right direction, getting closer to my final destination.

So, to the wonderful friends I leave in Sacramento . . . thank you! You've helped to make this a great place to live for the last 22 years.  For those of you I was able to connect with personally . . thank you for your efforts to make that happen.

Waiting for the wheels of the UAE Government  to turn has been a tremendous lesson in patience. But, it as afforded me the time to reflect on all of the good things and good people I had the great fortune to meet and get to know.

Thank you again for your friendship.  It means more than you'll ever know.

Please keep in touch.  I can be reached through this blog or via email at fayesharpe@gmail.com.

So long Sac.

No comments:

Post a Comment