Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

WOW!!!

Hearing the call to pray is a soothing sound that can be heard from dawn to sunset at intervals throughout the day.  I'm about a block from a mosque and I don't know if it can be heard because I'm so close, or if all the mosques project the prayers at the same time so that it can be heard across the city.

Speaking of city, I discovered in my research about the United Arab Emirates that each of the seven cities that comprise the country is really a city/state.  Abu Dhabi is the largest and the capitol, and Dubai is the most progressive in that it has made itself the place to be/visit in the Middle East.  The whole country is about the size of Maine, so it's very small, relative to the US and most other countries in the world.

I decided to venture out today, first to see the Prayer Lot up close that I can see from my room, then to explore more of the city.  The lot is four blocks wide and about two deep.  It truly is a massive space.  Interestingly, it is surrounded by a stone wall that has to be at least 12 feet high.  Very intimating.  No doubt, what goes on behind this wall stays behind this wall.  Although I walked the perimeter, I couldn't figure out how to enter the open space.  No need.  I was cool with just walking around it.  The view of it is better from the height of my room.

After this, I was ready to see the crown jewel of Abu Dhabi, the Emirates Palace.  See the pictures below.  There is no way to describe how magnificent this structure is.  It truly is breathtakingly beautiful!  These are professional photos and they can't capture the extraordinary opulence.  It is AMAZING!  It should be considered one of the seven (plus) wonders of the world.  All I could say was "WOW!!!".



Emirates Palace Hotel

Emirates Palace Hotel - Front



The tall domed building is Marina Mall.  The dome houses a restaurant.  I'm told that the view is incredible.  In this picture you can see the water that the palace is surrounded by in the back.  It's the bluest water I've ever seen.

There is a beach across the street and I rented a little peddle-powered scooter to cover as much ground as possible.  It was a hoot to ride and is pictured below.







Can you tell I'm having fun?
  
Thanks for sharing.

1 comment:

  1. finally had a chance to catch up on your blog.
    love the pictures.
    This looks like a really amazing place.
    and the scooter reminds me of your days rolling through Sac on the tricycle.

    ReplyDelete