Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2013

Football

 I couldn't help loving football with all of the testosterone in my world.  I don't know the rules, and don't pay attention to the positions, but I love the game nonetheless.

Ben and Frankie played in high school.

However, when I saw this documentary linked below, on the dangers of concussions caused by the repeated hits by football players, it changed my mind completely.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/

It is an hour and a half long, but worth every moment to see the extent of the damage to players, and the extent of the NFL in denying those damages.

If there's a hell, these folks representing the NFL are in the fast lane heading there.

Just as it was mentioned in the piece, this level of denial is reminiscent of the tobacco companies and their denial of the harm tobacco posed to smokers.

Something radically different needs to change in the way the game is played.

Success on the field is not worth an early grave, or a lifetime of pain and suffering, to the players.

That price is too high.

If I had known then what I know now, Ben and Frankie would not have played football, at all.

No question about it.  Football would have been off limits to them.

I'm convinced, if enough moms say no to this in the formative years, it will bring this game to it's knees, demanding changes to protect the players.

But it will take more than that.  Football is big business.  As long as there's greed associated with this game, there will be folks who will go to extremes to protect their investment, no matter how much harm is being done.

Remember this when you're enjoying the games this weekend.









No comments:

Post a Comment