Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Recurring Theme

I'm reading an absolutely phenomenal book, Malcolm Gladwell's latest,
David and Goliath:  Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.

It never ceases to be amaze me how Mr. Gladwell takes extraordinarily complex theories, and makes them easy enough for me to understand.

This man has a great gift, and I'm grateful to be a beneficiary of it.

I downloaded the book yesterday, and I'm more than halfway through it.  And as much as I want to finish it, I am compelled to pause and write about forgiveness . . . again.

The first notion that comes to mind when forgiveness takes over my thought life is . . .

Where have I missed the mark?

Who do I need to forgive?

Family, friends, strangers?

If no other person comes to mind . . . do I need to forgive myself?

There is no one that is harder on me than I am on myself.

When I blow it, I used to beat myself up.  Now, I'm still tough on me, but I temper my response with some hard-earned wisdom.  

Things used to derail me.

Now.  Not so much.

It's not that I care less, it's just that I'm understanding more and more that "this to shall pass."

I've learned to be kind to me.

I recognize the areas in my life that need help, and I work at making the necessary adjustments.

Now, I strive to treat myself, the way I strive to treat others, with patience and understanding.

I would never intentionally try to hurt someone, and yet it was OK for me to intentionally degrade and hurt myself.

Nope.

Not anymore.

So, what's the bottom line here?

Be quick to forgive others, no matter what.

And . . .

Be quick to forgive yourself, too, no matter what.

Because . . .

No matter how we may have blown it, if we're lucky, we can ask for forgiveness from others, and ourselves.  Then, we can choose to take a mulligan, learn from our mistakes, and try again.

Thank God for the "do overs."

Good night to you.

Good day to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment