Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

My Arabian Gulf Adventure

I've spent the last couple of days in Al Ain (about four hours away), taking care of some business before school starts on Sunday.

Forrest and I were chatting about this and that recently, like we always do, when the conversation turned to the body of water that hugs this country to the north, the Arabian Gulf.  I was sharing how incredibly blue it is, and Forrest said it was probably crystal clear.  He suggested that I check it out some time.  It's very close to home so I said I would.

 I'm not a "water" person, so I hadn't been curious enough to check out his theory, until now.

I had been on the road all morning, when I made a stop at the little mall about an hour from home.  While there, I noticed the temperature was surprisingly pleasant. So, I decided then and there, that today would be a good one to see the water near my home and check out if it is in fact clear.

When I arrived in Al Sila, I drove past my turn off for home and kept going until I reached the port, about a mile from my apartment.  Then I turned onto an unpaved road that runs parallel to the gulf.  I had been here before to see the beach, following one of my teachers, but I had not gotten out of the car to explore the water up close.

This teacher parked about 50 yards from the makeshift road which was about halfway from the road to the water.

Today, I decided to drive closer.  Remember, there is no road, just sand with trails where previous automobiles have traveled.

After getting reasonably close, I stopped, got out, and walked the rest of the way through the thick sand, to the water.

So far.

So good.

The sand leading to the shore was like flour, causing you to sink as you walked.  It was quicksand really, in many places.

That should have been a hint to be careful.

No worries yet though.

And so . . .

I plowed forth.

Once I reached the water, it was brown/black close to the shore, but when I dipped a see-thru cup in it, the sand and debris settled to the bottom, and just like Forrest said, it was crystal clear.

Satisfied at having accomplished this goal, I walked back to my car and used the water in the cup to clean the sand off my feet, and then I started it up and headed back for the road.

All was going well until I hit one of those soft batches of sand, the quicksand stuff, when my car got stuck.  Of course I tried going forward, then backwards, then turning my tires in hopes of getting some traction.  The more I tried, the more stuck I became.

At this point, I knew I needed help.

The problem was, this is a remote area, and it's Friday (our Sunday), so there was very little traffic.

I knew I couldn't just sit there hoping for the best, so I headed out walking to the main road, a couple of miles away.

As I was hiking, I thought that there was a better chance of finding people (there are homes and small businesses that line the shore) in the other direction, so I turned around.

After about five minutes, coming towards me in a cloud of dust, was a pickup truck that I frantically waved down.

Thank God, the man stopped, and I explained what happened and pointed to my stranded car.  He spoke very little English, but I understood him when he invited me to climb in his truck, which I did.  When we got to my car, I asked if he could help me get it out, and he indicated that he could.

Now, he's a local, dressed in a pristine white kundora (long robe), with the typical red checked head covering.

The first thing he did was let some air out of the front tires.  When he did this, I remembered that's what the guys did on the safari that I was on when I first arrived in this country.  Somehow, the tires have more traction in the sand when they are not inflated all the way.

Then I could tell he was looking for some rope or a chain or something, and he said he'd be back in five minutes.  True to his word, he was.  The rope that he got wasn't strong enough though and it broke.  He said he was going some place else, and again, he would be back in five minutes.

Again, he returned as promised.

He had purchased a brand new nylon rope and a bottle of water for me.

He was on the ground, on all fours, with grit and grim everywhere, with a total disregard to his snow white robe.

Once he tied the rope to the back of his truck, he tied the other end to the back of my car.  Then he got in his truck and floored it.  With a jerk, my car got out of the hole with no problem.  He pulled me a ways away, making sure I was on solid ground.

Then he indicated that he would drive my car to the road, and I was to follow in his truck.  That's what we did.

When it was all over, I tried to pay him, but he wouldn't hear of it.

This man absolutely save me today.

There is no doubt in my mind, he was angel sent from God to rescue me.

Well this experience just solidified my feeling about water.  It's beautiful to see from a safe distance, but can be treacherous when you get too close.

Been to the edge of the Arabian Gulf?

Check.

Going back again?

Heck no!







No comments:

Post a Comment