Search This Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Luck of the Irish

Greetings from Dublin.

I made a quick stop here to break up the long trip from the US back to the UAE.

I was out and about today and took a lot of pictures, but they can not capture the charm and beauty of this very lovely city.

It's old, but well-preserved and incredibly quaint.  It seems to be made for walking. Many streets were covered with pedestrians.

The people that I met have been so warm, friendly and helpful.

The Irish that I've met in Abu Dhabi are some of the nicest people you want to meet, and they seem to be a true reflection of this country.

My morning started late, as I was recovering from the all night flight from Houston. Once up and about, I hopped on a tour bus and marveled at the views of the city.

I ended my tour at the Guinness, St. James Gate Brewery, where the world famous beer is made.  It sits on 62 acres, and is truly massive.  It takes up many city blocks.  The tour itself was a bit disappointing.  I was hoping to see the actual process of how the beer is made.  I assumed it would be like the wine making tours of Napa, but it was not.  Basically it was video tour with a huge souvenir shop at the end.  No matter.  I had a good time nonetheless.

I opted to walk back to the hotel from the brewery, maybe 8-10 blocks.  It was a lovely stroll.  The temperature was sweater weather, like San Francisco, about 65 degrees.  Absolutely perfect!

This is a place I'd like to see again.



This is right outside my hotel window.

The sign is hard to read,
but it's for The Old Jameson Distillery,
founded in 1780 and active until 1971.

Street view

Street view 2


These are online photos that captured what I saw.

Another online photo.

This is in the heart of the city.

Impressive government (?) building

Beautiful monument in the heart of the city, too.

One of the many pubs

Another stately building

This guy's shirt says,
"Drinking doesn't cause hangovers,
Waking up does!"

I found this picture online.  It was better than mine.

Also an online shot.

This is inside the brewery.  It was founded in 1759.

This is an incredible man-made
rushing waterfall in the brewery.

Barrels of beer in the brewery.

This is also in the brewery.
I think it's suppose to represent a glass of beer,
but I could be totally wrong.


This church has the highest steeple in Dublin.

A close-up of the church above.








No comments:

Post a Comment