Search This Blog

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Gobble? Gobble?


Today we're in Kusadasi on the western shore of Turkey.

We're approaching the shore to dock for the day, when a small tugboat-looking boat met us in the waters right off shore.  It was bright red, flying the flag of Turkey.  I think it's a "follow me" boat, as that is what we did.

There is an island patch of land sticking out in the water that is attached by a strip of a road.  On this island-like area, is a high wall with a lookout tower in the middle.  I'm sure there's a story there.

There are two communities, and the ship is between them.  Another small boat passes by.  It looks like a fishing boat.

The way the communities are built in the mountain, it looks like wherever you are, you have a view of the water.  The land is naturally formed like an amphitheater.  The water at stage level and the homes and businesses are like the seats arranged progressively higher as they're built in the mountain.

Again, it was an early day.  I recorded the above at about 7:00am.  It's about 5:30pm now, and I'm in the 24-hour cafe, and one of the places that I can get Internet service.

We headed to the town of Ephesus, that is referenced many places in the bible, not the least of which, in the Book of Ephesians.  We see the amphitheater where the Apostle Paul preached a sermon to the masses.

It is a beautiful area.  The mountain range is a lustrous green, and our guide showed us a system here where rain water is captured and used for the six months it doesn't rain, providing the irrigation needed to grow all of the fruits and vegetables that are so plentiful.  I love figs and bought some the size of your fists.  I've never seen any so big, and unlike the ones I'm used to, you eat them like an apple, peeling and all.  Delicious!

Until the year 2000, this was just a quaint village by the sea.  Since that time, the port was sold to Royal Carribean Cruise Line, and now they average two million visitors per year.  Cleverly, the town has built an outdoor mall that the ship passengers must pass through to get back on board.  We were dropped off about two blocks away from the dock.  So, there were many opportunities to shop or avoid shopping, along the way.  Also, if you chose not to go on an excursion, the mall brings the town to the ship.  Smart idea, for sure.

Side note - During this week of extraordinary experiences, I realize how grateful I am for the Internet.  It truly is my lifeline to the world.  Rationing my time on it has been the only down side about this trip.  I'm having so much fun, I want to tell you about it NOW and show you all of the pictures NOW.  But instead of griping, I choose to be thankful that I have it at all.  Just eight years go when Ben lived in Indonesia, our online experiences were very limited compared to nowadays.  Gmail video chat is awesome!  Gotta love those Google boys.  Even without the video, being able to call computer to computer is super, and it's free!  Consider getting a Gmail account, just for the chat features.

Seriously, I ought to a get paid for endorsements because when I like something, I want the world to know it.

Side note 2 - Turkey is a Muslim country, but you couldn't tell it by appearances, at all.  There wasn't a black rope or head scarf in sight anywhere.  There were eating establishments opened throughout, and it didn't look like it was just for non-Muslims.  The fasting period of Ramadan is still happening.  It is clear that the country is tolerant of other religions, based on its history alone.  According to our tour guide, it's the only Muslim country that is a member of NATO and is recognized for its peacekeeping activities.

Our last stop is Chania, Crete tomorrow, then we're at sea all day Saturday, and arrive in Rome at sunrise on Sunday.

Farewell for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment