Search This Blog

Friday, August 10, 2012

Crete is Greece & Greece is Crete


Our last stop was here in Crete.  I'm not sure why it's identified by its name, distinct from mainland Greece.  Kind of reminds me of Brooklyn.  Why is it identified as Brooklyn, NY, and not New York, NY?

Anyway, on rare occasions, I think too much.

Side note - Anita Baker is playing over the PA System.  Nice.  Frankie Beverly, too. I met him once, in Miami.  My maiden name is Beverly, and I mentioned that, but he was a jerk about it.  Not a fan of him or his music.

We made four stops in Crete.  The first was a magnificent view of the valley below. You have to believe in God when you see something as grand and majestic as this. It was incredible.  The second stop was a community high in the mountains.  There was a cute coffee shop where I had Greek coffee.  It was espresso size and about as strong.  The third stop was in a quaint village at the seaside with turquoise colored water trimming it.  This was by far my favorite.  It was so inviting and relaxing.  Here I had another Greek coffee.  This one was iced.  Very nice.  The last stop was in a bustling commercial area.  Lots of shops and restaurants.  There were tons of people.  In addition to all of us visitors, it looked like a local hangout, too, because of all of the places to eat.

I took a city bus back to the harbor, and it was filled with folks from the ship heading back.  We had to be back on board early today.  Anyway, there was a twenty-something woman who missed all of the sights during the twenty minute ride back because her head was down the whole time as she was fiddling with her phone. This is a once in lifetime experience for some, and you're on your phone?  As much as I love technology, I think if we're not careful, we can let it interfere with living.

I think I'm out of Internet minutes . . . again . . . but that's OK because this is the end of the road for my travels.  We'll be spending the rest of the time at sea, heading back to Rome.

This week has been wonderful.  Thanks for sharing it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment