Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Momma Mia! Roma!


I'm sitting in the dining room, just finishing up with dinner on this, the first night of my Mediterranean Cruise.  I opted not to eat in the formal dining room at assigned tables, but I'm enjoying my meal in a more subdued setting, with an ocean view.  Very relaxing.

Side note - Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing is piped in.

The day began with a bus tour of Rome.  Like with Egypt, the ancient ruins were spectacular!  We were here years ago, when Frankie was a baby.  Then I thought it looked old.  Again, comparing it to Egypt, I've had a change of heart.  The ruins here were in much better shape.  In fact, the whole city of Rome was much more prosperous, much more inviting, and was filled with tourists.  The Arab Spring has hurt Egypt tremendously, with a serious decline in tourism.

Side note 2 - I'm surprised at the number of Black folks from the US I've seen and met on this cruise.

Side note 3 - It is quite the contrast seeing all of the little cars.  Smart cars and Fiats rule the road here.  Gas is about $7.50 gallon, so that's probably why.

I took loads of pictures, but the Internet service is very expensive on the ship.  I'll post them when I get home.

More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment