Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Turkey, Part 2

We just arrived at the hotel in Istanbul.  The drive over was filled with great sights - the best was an amazing aqueduct with Spanish style arches. I missed the shot . . . again, but I found pictures of it online.  I'm hoping to see it again before we leave.

Istanbul Aqueduct


Another view of the aqueduct


This is the town square.



There is a group of about 40 of us at this hotel and about that many staying at another place.  We all took advantage of a Groupon or Living Social Voucher and flew in from Dubai.  We'll have two days of guided tours, then we're headed home on Tuesday.

This trip was designed to celebrate EID.

Ramadan is officially over today and EID begins tomorrow.  This is a 5-day period to mark the end of the month of fasting, with three sacred days of partying and celebrations.  (This is the way they do it in the UAE.  Not sure if it's universally recognized like this).  This is a time when gifts are exchanged and presents are bought for all.  This is their Christmas, if you will.  This is the closest thing the Muslim community have to our Christmas holidays, and I hear it's pretty lavish, as you might expect.

Side note - I know I've said this many times before - so I expect there will be some eyes rolling, but that's OK.

Here goes -

All of these wonderful things didn't start happening in my life

Until . . .

I forgave.

A year ago.

At 55 years old!

I let it/him/them go.

Pushed it aside,

and / or

Chose to look at things differently.

I realized I was holding me back.  Not this person or that one.

Me.

Just me.

And when I made a conscious decision to let it/him/them be, things in my life turned around.

This is from someone who took great pride in holding a grudge, so . . .

If I can do it, you can too.










No comments:

Post a Comment