Search This Blog

Saturday, December 8, 2012

It's That Way!

In Thursday's local paper, there was an article about Dubai getting a system in place to assign GPS coordinates to every possible destination in that city.  See the article below.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/dubai-addresses-its-need-for-directions-with-navigation-system

That's great, but I hope they don't stop there.  Every inch of this country needs to be identified by GPS. Not just the big cities.  As I've mentioned before, the lack of physical addresses makes for colorful living when you're trying to find some place.

Thank God, I figured out how to get around by finding the GPS coordinates to the biggest landmark closest to wherever I'm headed.  That has saved me a tremendous amount of time and aggregation.

Side note -

This is labeled under:  Some things better left to the imagination.

On the main level of the Dubai Airport, there is a bank of elevators that are made of glass.  You can see the mechanisms working as they go up and down.

I don't need to see that.  I'm OK with being in the dark.

Interestingly, the mechanisms for the huge rotating lift that carries folks to the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town is also clear, but I found that one fascinating to see.

Go figure.

Anyway, I'm guessing you all are in the full swing of Christmas preparations.  I've got my iPod on a steady rotation of holiday songs.

There are Christmas trees and other decorations in the malls and shopping areas, but it is not saturated like in other places that recognize the holiday.

I'm OK with that, too.

Here's hoping that this is your best Christmas ever, and the beginning of the best years of your life.










No comments:

Post a Comment