Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Oral Surgery

I have few regrets in my life, but not taking care of my teeth is definitely one of them.

When I was growing up, we only visited the dentist when we were in pain, and the usual remedy was extraction.

Having grown up with this mindset, you would think, somewhere along the way, I would have recognize this was not the best in dental care.

I did, but not to the degree that I should have.

Thankfully, Ben and Frankie received better dental care, but it was still lacking the optimal attention it deserved.

At 53 years old, I got braces, in preparation for serious dental work.  The rationale was to strengthen my teeth before the extensive other work.

Two years later the braces came off, and the restoration was beginning, when I was hired for this job.  So, I sent out of the orthodontist's door with the directive to wear my retainers 24/7 so my teeth wouldn't shift back to their original crooked places.

Being the good girl that I am, I followed doctors orders.

A mild, irritating off and on toothache caused me to visit the dentist here, and after that issue was taken care of, the massive restoration work began.

Hence, the oral surgery.

The dentist was great and the procedures went well, but . . .

Thank God for drugs!

I don't understand folks shy away from drugs that can ease the pain.  I know what pain feels like, and I'm never anxious to feel it again.

But, of course, to each his own.

As I've mentioned before, the local folks here fall into two categories - those teenagers and young adults in braces, and the kids and old folks with rotting teeth. This is fascinating because medical and dental care is free to all nationals.

Here's to happy brushing, flossing, and deep cleaning.












No comments:

Post a Comment