Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2012

It's a Cold, Cold World

The low was 27 degrees last night, with a high expected today of 34.  There's a chance for snow tomorrow.

Thankfully, my hotel room and every other building I've been in have been mercifully heated well.

Side note - Please forgive me in advance for painting with a broad brush.

That being said, I have a theory about dressing for the cold - If I see white folks with their coats on, I know I need to grab three (a sweater, light coat, with a heavy one on top), plus hat, gloves and scarf.  So far, it has held up.

I opted not to ride the "hop on, hop off" bus today, and took a walk to Wencelas Square, as it is only a half mile from my hotel.  Moving at a pretty brisk pace kept me warm, so did the new heavy duty wool gloves I bought.  I had to ditch the cute leather ones for something warmer and more practical.

This really is a walking city.  You see lots of people walking, and taking the public transportation. It's laid out well, making it relatively easy to get around.

One of the things I've noticed as I've traveled through the city, is the number of book stores I've seen.  Small Mom & Pop shops and a large chain-like one that I browsed through.  I appreciate my electronic gadgets that allow me to read on them, but I miss holding a book and turning the pages, coming to the end, having that feeling of satisfaction at finishing it.  It's just not the same with the gadgets.  And of course, as much as I love Amazon and appreciate all that it offers, the demise of local bookstores can be leveled square in its lap.

So, anyway, I spent some time just browsing through some of the storefronts on the square.  I referred to the map that the hotel gave me to get there, but followed a different path getting home and realized that I was lost.  Thank God, I had Google Maps downloaded on my phone.  I activated the internet, plugged in the hotel's name and viola, the walking route was highlighted with a moving ball for me to follow and it took me right to the hotel.

I love those Google boys!

If that didn't work, Plan B would have been to hail a cab.

Another thing that I've noticed in all of the places I've visited, is the number people who smoke, especially young people.  It's like they didn't get the memo that smoking is hazardous to your health.  The protection from smokers and their smoke is not like it is in the US.  Again, it's like they haven't heard about the dangers of secondhand smoke either.

I remember when smoking was outlawed on flights for passengers, but the pilots were still allowed to smoke.  I don't know if that is still in effect.  I just googled it, and it looks like it is in place.  If the guy, or gal, needs to smoke to calm their nerves up there and that allows them to more effectively do their job, smoke on.

Now a note about the food -

The folks here seem to eat a lot of sausages and cold cuts.  Reminds me a lot of Germany.  I think the food is better here though.  I especially like the sausages. They are very much like the ones we had back home in Texas.  They cook them outside on an open flame, browning the outside until they're crisp.  Yummy.

Again, there are McDonald's, KFC, and Starbucks and some other brands that we have in the UAE.

Also, as before, I have heard American pop music piped in stores, on the square, and in the cabs.  R & B, too.  There was even Country Western Christmas carols on the cab radio yesterday.  Surprise.  Surprise.

Here are a few more pictures taken on Wescelas Square.

Enjoy!




















No comments:

Post a Comment