Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Cheers!

Prague is not the place to be if you have a problem with drinking.  Beer, wine and hard liquor are everywhere - in the fruit stand across the street, in the grocery stores, in the makeshift winter wonderland outdoor kiosks - any place that sells food, sells liquor too.

I began the day going on a three mile roundtrip trek from the hotel, looking for the Futura Museum. When I arrived at the Google Map location, it was not there.  First of two times the Google boys failed me today.  The second was getting back home, when I lost internet service, and thus the mapping service.  OK, this one wasn't their fault.  Anyway, I was turned around, so I stopped to ask directions and wound up at a quaint little coffee shop where I was forced to sit and drink my cappuccino because they didn't have take away cups.  It was a lovely respite, and I'm glad I did.

Back outside, I headed in the general direction of the hotel, and by the grace of God, turned a corner and recognized my neighborhood.  I went to the stores nearby and picked up dinner because I knew I wouldn't be leaving the hotel anymore today.  The hotel only provides breakfast service.

There were snow flurries the entire time I was out, but it wasn't so bad as to prevent me from going.

I was looking for the sculptures of David Cerny.  It seems like Prague hasn't decided whether to laud him or condemn him.  Whatever your stand, there's no argument that his work is provocative.  A sample, and my favorite,  is below.

Not sure what he calls it, but I can think of a few names.  How about you?
You can stick your head inside to watch a video
of two politicians feeding each other.
Bizarre, yes.  Provocative, for sure.

What follows are more pictures of the area I was in today, they include a statue of Winston Churchill.


These guys are selling fish that are kept alive in the barrels.
You pick the one you want, and they kill it and prepare it for you.
I passed them several times, and when business was slow,
they were passing around a huge Vodka bottle.
That's one way to keep warm.


Another street view



Winston Churchill
This nativity scene is made completely out of straw
and is located inside the Prague Castle Complex.
This is from the guided tour.  I forgot to include it earlier.

This has been a great trip.  Tomorrow I'm headed home with many fond memories.

More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment