Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Stockton

Several years ago, two of my colleagues in Sacramento were planning to pursue their doctoral degrees.  On a fluke, I joined them.

I have known more than my fair share of educated fools, and I didn't want to fall into this category, even accidentally.

However, thinking that it would help in pursuing other avenues in education, I enrolled with my buddies at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA.

Stockton can best be described as a blue collar town, that stinks to the high heavens as you're driving to it, and also in the beautiful, newly renovated downtown area.  Going south from Sacramento you pass a dairy farm, so I get the funk there, but downtown?  PeeYuwee!

I thought about Stockton today because I saw that the great jazz musician, Dave Brubeck, passed away.  He was from Stockton.

My experience with the town/city was not a pleasant one.

Although I'm not an education snob, I thought the intellectual conversation at the doctoral level would be enriching and fulfilling.

Boy, was I wrong.

First of all, the teaching staff was small, only 4-5 folks would be teaching all of the classes that we would be required to take.

Even that would be bearable, if the folks were engaging and openminded.

They were not.

Now, you might say that I have this funky attitude towards the place because after a 1.5 years, I dropped out.

I'm proud of my buddies who succeeded in muddling through the nonsense to complete the program.

At my age, sitting in a class, I question everything.  That's how I learn.  Some folks, of the small-minded variety, are intimated by that.  What they say should be considered gospel, with no questions asked.

I learned the hard way that when you piss off small-minded people, they do small-minded things to retaliate.

It is what it is, and life goes on.

Do I reget not completing the program?

No.

I think I would have been content in that world, and it was only with the stirring of discontent, that I sought after and found this dream job.

So remember, if you're ever driving through Stockton, keep your windows up, drive fast, and listen to Take Five by Dave Brubeck.





No comments:

Post a Comment