Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fame - Who Decides?

What makes someone or something popular/successful?

Why is it that some works of art - famous pieces - look like something a toddler painted, and yet the pieces are worth millions of dollars?  Who decides what's good or not? Why does their opinion count more than mine?  Or yours?

Why are famous folks famous?  Who decided their fame or status?  We the viewing public?  Or their public relations team?

What makes some recording artists, who are mediocre at best, become top sellers, when other folks with extraordinary talent are left watching from the sidelines?

Why are some books best sellers, when there are so many others, better written, better put together, that hardly get noticed?

This last question is especially relevant because I'm reading a best seller, the first of a trilogy, that has been on the best sellers list for weeks/months now.  It's Fifty Shades of Grey.

There's been a lot of buzz about it.  Of course, it's banned from the bookstores here.

I had seen it for a while on Amazon, but every time I thought about buying it, I do what I always do when purchasing something, I read the reviews.  What is/was tantalizing about the reviews for this book is that of the 6000 plus folks who wrote one, 3500 thought the book was great, and 2500 thought it was trash.

I'm about half way through the first volume, and if I wrote a review now, mine would definitely be leaning toward the later group.

In a nutshell, the book is about this gazillionaire who makes an indecent proposal to a young, naive, recent college graduate.  We're seen and heard the story before, so you can get the gist of where it's headed.

What makes this story different though, is that it involves kinky sex, of the very kinky kind. Bondage and such.

OK.  I confess.  I like trashy romance novels where I imagine I'm the woman getting all of the attention from the handsome dude, and we ride off into the sunset.

Yes, it's pretty pathetic, but there it is.  The truth of the matter.

What I can't wrap my head around is someone tying someone else up for their jollies.

That's just too freaky for me.

First sign of a rope, handcuffs, duct tape - whatever - I'm outta there.

So, I'm struggling with this book.  I'll finish it, just cause.  But relating to it on a personal level . . . no, no . . . in fact, hell no.

Now, I'm guessing you're in one or two camps - those who agree that kinky is crazy and won't touch it, or those who disagree, or maybe now you're just a wee bit curious, and you're rushing off to buy it.

Look for it in the hardware aisle, next to the rope and duct tape.







2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too agree that I am not in to all of that stuff, but I loved the book. I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete