Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Greetings from Egypt!

Just arrived a couple of hours ago, and just got settled into my room for the night.

I was met at the airport, with a guy holding a sign with my name on it.  I felt pretty important.  Thankfully, he facilitated getting my visa, was with me through the passport checkpoints, and for the hourlong wait in getting my luggage.  Then we were off to the hotel, about 15 minutes from the airport.

The people are very friendly and helpful here at the hotel, but the folks at the airport were pretty aggressive.  I appreciated having someone to lead the way.

The day begins at 9:00am tomorrow, so I'm off to bed.

Wait.  One more thing.

Ramadan, the monthlong fasting for Muslims, began yesterday, so I was curious to see whether there would be food available at the airport.  I was told that all restaurants and food shops closed their doors from before sunup to sundown.  This is done so that the smell of food wouldn't be enticing for those fasting.  That was not the case at Dubai Airport.  Everything was open as usual.  It will be interesting to see how it is observed here in Cairo.

More soon.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment