Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Online Dating & Gay Marriage

No, I'm not gay.

Yes.  I'm sure you went there when you read the title.  These are just two topics on my mind today.

First, online dating.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier postings, I tried it for a six-week run, years ago, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.  In fact, running home at night to check my account to see if it generated any interest, felt like homework.

And who wants homework?

The reason I gave this a try at all is because dear friends of mine have found, and married, wonderful men they met through online dating services.  So, I figured if it happened for them, it could happen for me.

It didn't.

The fact that no one I "met" was interested in a face-to-face, not even for coffee, was the first clue to the ultimate demise of this dating adventure.

But, at least I can say I tried.

I figured this was the problem - it's hard to reduce how wonderful I am to a statement or two.  I need volumes to share all of this awesomeness.

OK.  Stop laughing.

Really.  Stop.

And for those of you who might be tempted to feel sorry for me, don't.  I'm having the time of my life.  The only reason this has even crossed my mind lately is because I've seen a lot of commercials for various online dating sites.

And yes, I'm a sucker for ads.  Always have been.  So was my Momma.   Must be genetic.

Now, to gay marriage.

I just read this charming account of two guys, one active duty military, who were just married, on base.  They were married before and each of them has two kids. They are both Christian and were raised in the church, and tried for years to deny who they were.  When they did come out, after the dismantling of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," they initially lost everything - wives and kids, parents and church affiliations. In time, folks came around, and new friends joined their circle.

The full story can be found on the Salon website.  The link follows.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_wedding/2012/07/erwynn_umali_and_will_behrens_the_first_gay_wedding_on_a_military_base_.single.html.

In spite of all the negative people and negative circumstances they encountered and endured, their love for each other prevailed.

I'm happy for this couple.  These gay men who married, strangers to me.  I'm happy they had a choice, and that we're in a place in America where they could step out and make their choice known to the world.









No comments:

Post a Comment