Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ramadan Observations

Ramadan began on July 20th and goes through August 20th.  Muslims are required to fast from before dawn to after sunset.  They can't eat or drink anything, including water.

I'm attaching a link from The National Newspaper for "Ask Ali" who publishes this wonderful column explaining cultural nuisances to non-Muslim ex-pats.  It's below.

http://www.thenational.ae/topic/magazine/ask-ali

This, of course, is my first experience being immersed in Islamic Culture, and there are some things I've noticed.

The work day is shortened by two hours for this month, and typically, businesses slow way down.  I was hired during Ramadan last year, which helps to explain why the process to get me here was so incredibly slow.

Ramadan is based on the Islamic Calendar, and it changes (moves back) about ten days each year.  Chances are next year, it will begin around July 10, the next year, around June 28, and so on.

Cairo seemed more lenient in the availability of food during the fasting period.  The hotel continued its 24-hour room service and I made sure that I ate my meals in my room, so as not to offend those who were fasting.  A huge buffet was prepared and served on the patio area around the pool at about 7:00pm for the breaking of the fast or Iftar.  A 10:00 each night a live band played until midnight, and on Friday night, their holy day/night, the music lasted until 2:00am.

I felt awful for my guide in Luxor where the temperatures were 130 degrees.  I was dying of thirst and had something to drink, at his insistence.  He cooled off by pouring water over his head, neck and arms. Ice melted instantly in that heat.

When I arrived at Dubai in mid-afternoon a few days later, I was hoping for an ice coffee from the Starbucks in the airport.  It was closed, along with many other places to eat.  There was another coffee shop opened, but it was completely enclosed with dark wooden screens, obscuring the view of those inside.  Their "open" sign was outside the screens.

I went to the mall today here in Al Ain, and again, all public eating places were closed.  I'm guessing they will open after 7:00pm, but I'm tucked in by that time, so I don't know for sure.

Another interesting thing -

Muslim folks use prayer beads that look a lot like rosaries that Catholic folks use. There are 99 different names for Allah in Islam, and I think they use the beads to keep count of how many they've said.  They may use them for other prayers too, but I'm not not sure.

People reading the Holy Quran are seen everywhere.

Side note - I had to get some medicine refilled today and saw a new doctor who is from Nigeria.  I mentioned that I was hot and he had someone to sneak in a couple of bottles of water.  I drank mine in his office because it is offensive to drink or eat in public during the fasting times.

The grocery stores remain open, so you can always get something to eat and take it home to indulge.

Side note 2 - I just discovered this fact:

Soaking in one’s own bathwater is un-Islamic, and revolts most Muslims.


This is probably why I've had to look high and low to find a drain stopper for the tub. 

Interesting, right?

It is also fascinating to me how some Muslims can espouse to hatred and killing, when so much of their lives are spent praying.  I'm sure they could say the same thing about us Christians, too.

Every day is a learning experience.  Even now, at my age, I marvel at how much I don't know.

Here's to learning and growing together.






No comments:

Post a Comment