Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ben

I missed worked today because of feeling achy with a sore throat.  Although I didn't feel like it, I got up to go to the doctor so that I would have an excuse for the absence.  It is required.

Armed with antibiotics for the infection in my throat, I spent the rest of the day reading and watching TV.  I get lots of choices in watching US shows and movies, so I had plenty to choose from.

Funny the things you think about when you're not feeling well though.

I'm reminded of the days, weeks, and months spent praying for Ben's recovery after his horrific accident.

There was the overwhelming outpouring of support from family, friends and strangers (to me at least, but friends of the boys).

There was the trauma center in Fort Worth where Ben was hospitalized that was staffed with folks who took great care of him.  The first week after the accident was touch and go.

There was the doctor that Ben didn't like.  Interestingly, while he spent the first week in a medically induced coma, there was this one particular doctor who was very pessimistic about his prognosis.  When Ben awakened from the coma, and could communicate, he did not like this doctor at all. I absolutely believe he was aware of what was being said during this time when he was unconscious, and somehow knew this doctor was not hopeful that he would make it at all.

The outpouring of help and support we received was incredible.

There was one of Frankie's friends who created a website where we could post updates.  This also served as a link for people to leave encouraging posts, which kept us going on those tough days.

There was an enormous number of people who sent money to help with the financial burden of maintaining two households, when Frankie moved to Texas to be closer to Ben, and to help with the cost of traveling back and forth to Fort Worth from Sacramento.

There was the dear family friend who travelled to Fort Worth and found an apartment for us to live in so we could be closer to the hospital.  We were planning to stay in Ben's place about an hour and a half from Fort Worth, so having this place close by was a tremendous help and allowed us the opportunity to spend more time with Ben.

There was the couple who took a detour on their travels across country to see us and support Ben.  They came bearing gifts.  Because she had been hospitalized for extended periods of time, she knew of things that Ben would need or would make him more comfortable during his long recovery.

There was one of Ben's college buddies who traveled 24 hours straight from Siberia to be with him.  This kid will always have a special place in my heart.

There was one of his high school buddies who travelled from Southern California with mementos from their high school days together that Ben treasured.

There was my dear friend who was absolutely instrumental in helping with the logistical issues of getting Ben transferred to a hospital back home to Sacramento.  He had to have a doctor who would accept him as a patient, or his care would not have been covered by insurance.  She helped to make that happen.

There was the doctor and his staff who took outstanding care of Ben once he was local and still required at least a half dozen more surgeries over multiple disciplines.  It was truly a team effort, and it was a phenomenal team at that.

There were the folks from my school who took turns making meals for us once we moved Ben back to Sacramento.  They did this for months while I raced home from work to care for him.

There were my brothers who rallied around me as only big brothers can.  They came and provided tremendous support.  It was my youngest brother Terry (deceased) who, with Frankie, drove Ben home cross country.

And then there was Frankie.

He was my rock.  He was strong so I would be strong.  He knew I needed him to make it through this.

He was 22 at the time.

Once we received word of the accident, he left immediately going to Fort Worth because he was still able to fly free and could just show up at the airport and get on the next flight out.  It took me more time, so I arrived the next day.

The courage that it took for Frankie to go to Fort Worth, not knowing if Ben would even be alive when he arrived, was extraordinary.  He was always mature for his age, but I saw him grow up over night.

You think you appreciate family and friends, but that appreciation is taken to a whole new level in a crisis.

This journey began in July 2005 and lasted over two years.

It seems like yesterday.

Thank God, Ben is absolutely fine, but he will always be my miracle and Frankie will always be my rock.






2 comments:

  1. sniff. While you have had me laughing many times, this is so touchingly sweet, I have to ask who are you and what have you done to our Faye?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday, I was wiping tears of laughter from my eyes, tears of remembrance. I remember that day and those times, hard to believe it wasn't just yesterday. You have some remarkable men you your life and you are fortunate you call call two of them your sons. Even better they are who they because of you!

    ReplyDelete