Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cough Drops vs. Condoms

Yesterday my throat was a little sore, so on my way home from work, I stopped by the gas station to pick up some cough drops.  I looked around and didn't see anything that looked like medicine, so I asked one of the guys working there if they had cough drops.  He said they did not.  I saw colored boxes behind the counter so I asked what they were.  He responded, but I couldn't understand him, so I asked again.  And again, I couldn't make out what he was saying.  Did I mention he was answering just above a whisper?  After three tries, he spoke up and said, "condoms" in a really loud voice.  Then I understood.  Both of us were deep brown folks, so you couldn't tell we were blushing, but we were.  Poor guy.  He really was trying to be cool, but I thought those boxes housed cough drops by another name and I was bound and determined to get some relief for my sore throat.

Anyway, we lived through that embarrassment and lo and behold, also behind him on the shelf, were cough drops.  I guess he calls them something else.  I bought them and my favorite vending machine cappuccino, and off I went.

Then, as I continued my journey home, I wondered who'd be buying said condoms. Locals?  But there is no contact with the local women.  Ex-pats, I suppose.  Maybe next time I'll ask the guy.  That would probably be an interesting conversation.

Stay tuned.




1 comment:

  1. Faye! The funniest entry yet, I laughed out loud on this one. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete