Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Skipped Town

I've been meaning to mention an interesting phenomena that happens fairly often. That is, teachers just pack their bags and leave.

I'm reminded of this everyday because there's a car that's been parked near where I park Luther in the garage that hasn't moved since I've been parking underground, about two months.  I'd bet my next paycheck that it's a rental and whoever had it just skipped town.

Usually they just leave everything - furniture, household goods, cars - literally everything but their clothes, and head back home.  It happens mostly during the breaks.  If I didn't think it was so incredibly tacky and probably illegal, I'd consider an office pool to see who might go that route on our staff.  It would be the second time someone left because one teacher left like that before I arrived.

It's an unprofessional way of doing things, that's for sure.  It continues to happen because there really isn't any repercussions.

Anyway . . .

We get coverage of all of the major stories in the US, so I shouldn't have been surprised about the coverage of Peyton Manning leaving the Colts.  That was really disappointing news.  Forrest and Willie (my brothers) and I were talking about it tonight during our video chat.  They reminded me that it's business, brutal though it is.  I thought about Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.  I thought they both should have been given the opportunity to finish their careers are 49ers.  It was a sad day seeing them suited up in different uniforms.  Again, it was business, but I think the owners forget about the fans and the emotional investment we put into our favorite players and favorite teams.  Peyton, like Joe and Jerry, is such a classy guy that I'm sure will land on his feet.  I, for one, wish him the best.

Yes, I like football.  Being the only girl with three older brothers, it was my ticket in the door of the man caves they created.  And with Ben and Frankie both playing in high school, it just added to my enjoyment of the game.

On another note . . .

Thankfully I'm feeling better everyday. 

It is customary to shake hands with the Arab staff, which I thinks contributes to the sharing of the nasty bugs.  I purchased some sanitizing gel, but I'm careful not to use it in their presence for fear they will be offended that I'm washing my hands after touching them.  So I use it on the down low as often as possible.

In the last box my dear friend forwarded, it contained some megavitamin packets that I used to buy by the case at Costco.  Those were quite helpful back home in keeping the bugs away.  Hopefully they will be as helpful here.

Finally . . .

One of my colleagues is also going to Cape Town for Spring Break, so we're making plans to share the apartment that I have reserved for the week.  I'm used to living and traveling alone, so my fingers are crossed that it is a positive experience.

Thanks for sticking with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment