Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Observations

The following are things that I've noticed:

---Little baby girls, through toddler age, wear their hair really short - like a boy (as if they had a say in the matter).  When they are school-aged, it's worn long and usually braided.  I see lots of black ponytails.

---There is a really festive rhythmic clap that is performed when congratulating someone.

---Students play the instruments for the assemblies (keyboard, drums and tambourines) at both the boys' and girls' assemblies.

---The date is written day/month/year; today's date would be 4/3/2012 instead of 3/4/2012 that we're used to.

---I have not seen an electric pencil sharpener.  Students use the little single blade ones.  I purchased a battery operated one, but it was a rare find.  You can still find the manual crank kind that used to be standard issue in all classrooms.  They are in stores, but not in classrooms.

---There's no such thing as waiting in line.  Even though there is a number system in place almost everywhere, it's not unusual to see folks bum-rushing the counter.  It continues to happen because whoever is waiting on us, allows it.  If they sent them packing, it wouldn't happen, but it does . . . a lot.

Interesting, don't you think?

I'm cooking tonight.  Since I found fresh okra, I've been in hog's heaven.  The dish that I make is one that Mom taught me.

Okra with onions, bell pepper, chicken and shrimp
Simmers for an hour and served over rice

I found the magazine I was searching all over for - Time Out Abu Dhabi.  This weekly informs you of all of the happenings in and around the city.  I also picked up Time Out Dubai.  I want to be sure I'm taking advantage of all this area has to offer. One of the things on my list of things to do is hot air ballooning.  I've always wanted to do that.  Maybe during the break.

My goal is to spend the rest of my life doing things I've never done before.  Really experiencing life.  Even if I discover I don't like something, at least I've given it a go.

What's your goal?

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering! I love okra too!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faye,
    Even though I don't comment, I have been following. I miss going on trips out of country:) I'm totally enjoying following your adventure! Thanks for sharing.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete