Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

100th Day of School

I've never been sure what the big deal is about the 100th Day of School and why it's celebrated, but we joined schools around the world recognizing this feat.  There were two programs - one for the boys and the other for the girls.  I have pictures from the girls program only.

All of the adults in the picture are teachers

Although it's difficult to see,
some of the girls are wearing elaborate gowns

The is a first grade class singing, with a first grader leading the song.


I began this post last night, but stopped to video chat with my brothers.  It's always a treat to talk to them.  They will both be celebrating birthdays soon.  Willie will be 70 and Forrest 66.  Those ages used to seem ancient.  Now that I'm in my mid-50's, not so much.

Willie left home when I was four and he was 18.  Forrest left when I was eight, and he was 18, so I really didn't get to know them until I was an adult.  My youngest brother, Terry, was a year older than me, but he passed away suddenly several years ago.

Terry and I were very close, and not just because we were a year apart and grew up together, but because we fought like cats and dogs, like only close siblings can do. He loved to argue/debate and I always took the bait.  We would call Mom every day on the phone to referee.  She left really early for work, leaving us home alone to get ready for school.

In fact, Terry and I were still arguing/debating about something well into our 40's when Forrest suggested it was time for one of us to grow up.  I decided that would be me.  From then on, I refused to get into a verbal sparring match.  OK.  Every now and then, I engaged in one that was just too good to pass up.

 I miss him.

He was very close to Ben and Frankie.  He was the "cool" uncle.  He could relate to them on their level probably because he never grew up.  He had two kids, a son and daughter.  His son bears a striking resemblance to him.  I wish I was as close to them as he was to my boys.  That's my fault in not establishing a closer relationship when they were younger.  Michael graduates from high school this year with Bettina following close behind.

Terry's death at 50 reminds me of the conservative publisher Andrew Breitbart, who passed way yesterday at 43, survived by his wife and four kids.  God knows I disagreed with most of what he said, but I enjoyed watching him make his points and defend his position.

He and Terry were both great debaters, only he got paid to do it.

Side note - I visited a grocery store that got rave reviews.  Although, I gotta tell you, it's hard for me to get excited about a grocery store.  Anyway, it is also known to stock one of the largest collection of magazines catering to ex-pats.  The store was just a notch above meager, but the magazine rack didn't disappoint.

While there, I also picked up Thai Dragon Fruit.  It's pictured below.

Thai Dragon Fruit


Thai Dragon Fruit - Inside

It tastes very much like a kiwi, but milder.  You eat it by scooping it out with a spoon.  The meat is soft.

Sending positive thoughts your way until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment