Search This Blog

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Productive Day

Yesterday I didn't get out of pajamas.  Lots of reading and TV.  Today, I was moving and shaking and getting things done.

I went by the hospital for a walk-in appointment.  The guys there were great.  They told me that it was way too busy then, but they gave me a better time later in the day.

Then it was off to get Luther serviced.  While waiting for him, I wrote my weekly bulletin.  Finished that and continued reading a novel on my phone.  The Kindle App is one of my favorite apps.  When I moved to a different waiting area, I met a Black woman from Long Beach.  She was dressed in complete Arab-wear.  I think she was probably Muslim.  She was an ADEC teacher and had been in the country for five years, three teaching at a private school, and two with ADEC.  She was about to do some serious complaining, when she asked me how I liked it.  I told her I loved it, and started naming all of the things I loved.  It turned the conversation around immediately from where it was heading - a gripe session.  I refused to get sucked into that.

I stopped by the grocery store and bought some supplies for my office.  I keep coffee and tea, chocolates and chips - you know, the really healthy stuff - for the teachers/staff to munch on throughout the day.  It's amazing how a piece of chocolate can help you make it through the day, especially if it's a rough one.  The benefit of having these things available far outweighs the cost of doing it.  It’s amazing how food helps to break the ice.  Folks have shared things while making coffee or tea that they probably wouldn’t have shared otherwise. 

Went by the mall to get a pair of eyeglasses repaired.  The guy who waited on me was Egyptian, and like the others I've met from his country, he was warm and super friendly.  He asked me where I was from, and he shared that he had a relative in California. I told him that I intended to visit Egypt soon, but I was concerned about safety since the uprising.  He assured me things have calmed down and because they're trying to restore confidence and get visitors back, there're some real bargains to be had now.  I will seriously consider a trip soon.

Then it was home for a minute.  

While here, the doorbell rang.  It was someone checking my Internet/Phone/TV service. I've had real issues with my Internet lately.  I thought it was Tyrone (my wireless router), but he was fine.  It took three service calls to figure that out though. At this point, it's not where it needs to be - speed wise - but I'm tired of fighting.  

Off again with a stop by the post office, then back to the hospital.  By this time I'd received a text from the woman who is traveling with me to Cape Town, suggesting that I look into the need for immunizations.  I looked and although not required, I got them anyway.  Better to be safe than sorry.

I was able to see the doctor I wanted to see, then I was off to return something I purchased yesterday.  Thankfully, it wasn't a problem.  Returning items is a much bigger deal here.  It makes you think twice before buying, that's for sure.

Quick stop by the market close nearby to pick up some milk.

Home again.  

Cleaned out purse.  Filed papers.  Ate dinner.  Made a lunch.  Got ready for bed.

I wonder if the five cappuccinos I had throughout the day contributed to my higher than normal energy level.  Maybe.  If so, I should drink that many everyday. 

Side note - It's been hot, about 95 degrees for the past week or so.  It makes you really appreciate air conditioning.  Even though it's hot, there's a breeze.  It's just blowing hot air.  Word is it gets much hotter in the summer.  Normal temperature is around 120 in July.  I hope to be someplace cooler by then.

Side note 2 - Tried some fruit that looks like worms.  Or if you're a South Park fan (I'm not), it might remind you of something else.  Anyway, it has a hard, paper-like shell that peels away to reveal a fruit that looks like peas in a pod.  They are sticky and gummy, like gummy bears, with black, smooth seeds inside.

This fruit is called Tamarind,
indigenous to tropical Africa.

This is what it looks like inside.





Side note 3 - Traffic stopped for camels to cross, at dawn, on my way to work one day last week. Something else was happening last week in this area as there were about 50-75 camels, with lots of SUV's and people hanging out.  I didn't see them until I was right up on them, so I didn't get a picture.

Camels crossing the road at dawn.

I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open, so I give.  I'm going to bed.

Goodnight.





No comments:

Post a Comment