Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Patience

Thanks for your patience as I've been off of my routine in posting.  I haven't been feeling well.  Not sure what's up, but thankfully, I'm much better today.  Mostly, I was just super tired, with little energy.  I'm still learning how to best pace myself here.

Charlie, my new Shiatsu Massage Cushion, is doing an amazing job of rolling up and down my back as I write this.  It feels soooooo good!  He even came with a bonus one for Luther, so Little Charlie and I will have a vibrating good time as I go to and from work.

I was the only administrator on campus today when a 4th grade student decided to ditch school, but he was intercepted by one of our security guards.  This kid is well known to the staff as one who is often in fights and generally disruptive on most days.  Mom was called, but there was no answer, so I suggested we take him home.  After some discussion, an Arab teacher drove he and I to his house.  Still his Mom wasn't there, but we left him with the housekeeper.  About a half hour later I saw his teacher and shared what happened, and she said that he was back at school, hanging out.  No sooner than we dropped him off, than he was back again. Even after trying to ditch school earlier, he'd rather be there with his friends than be at home.  About an hour later, his father came by.  I was called in to sit in on the conference, along with the teacher who drove.  By this time my Arab counterpart was back on campus and very forcefully communicated what the issues were. The father defended the son's behavior, even with the mounting evidence to the contrary.  He did take him back home, though.  I wish I had a dime every time I've seen this happen in the US and now here.  I'd be wealthy beyond measure.

Side note - Despite the outcome of little to no support from the parent, I earned some points with the staff just for taking him home in the first place.

Side note 2 - This student did not live in a fancy place.  It was, in fact, very modest compared to the huge homes nearby.  I queried a class I was teaching yesterday, asking them if they were Emirati.  I was surprised that they all were not.  I'd guess about 90% probably are Emirati, and the other 10% are Arab, but not nationals.  This student was not an Emirati.

Side note 3 - Our security guards are on duty for 24 hours.  In fact, they live on campus somewhere.  The campus is so big, I just saw the back of it today, after working there for almost three months.  I chat with two of the guards a lot, but I rarely know what we're taking about.  They speak a variation of English that only they can understand, and of course my Arabic is limited to a very few words, most of which I've picked up from the kids.  One of the guards is especially friendly.  He's from Egypt.  He's the fourth person I've met from there and each of them have been incredibly warm and friendly.  I absolutely intend to visit their country soon, but it's a little too volatile now.

Side note 4 - I watched, for the first time, the girls leaving school by bus.  It takes 11 of the very large buses to accommodate all of them.  Each bus has a lady who rides to and fro with them, attempting to keep order.  These are the same buses that have taken the boys home and return to pick up the girls.  What's really fascinating is every student rides the bus, even if they live a block away.  No students walk to school, even though many could.  Maybe it's like that because its so hot most of the year.  I don't know.

Finally, I walked into a class with our newest Western teacher.  Today was her first day.  Although she was in the class with her Arab counterpart, chaos doesn't begin to describe how outrageous the behaviors were.  It's shocking to see the first time, and this lady was shocked.  I left and returned with my canister of cookies to reward those few who were behaving and that helped to restore order. One of the main instigators of the the bad behavior is the son of one of our teachers on the girls' side.  The ladies I spoke with on the boys' side says this mom doesn't believe here son is the culprit, so they asked me to speak to her.  I did and thankfully, she didn't try to defend him to me.  I would have suggested she come and see for herself.  Even then, I'm sure she would have managed to make him the victim.

As crazy as it sometimes is here, it's still not as crazy as the last school where I was the principal.  So, I can look back and be grateful for the excellent training I received living through those challenges, which prepared me to handle these issues on the other side of the world.

OK.  Very last thing.

I've purchased my tickets for a trip during my spring break at the end of March.  It's 13 hours by air, but I have two stops.  A straight flight takes about nine hours.  Can you guess where I'm going?  Hint - it's not anywhere in Europe or the US.  Please leave your guesses in the comment section.






No comments:

Post a Comment