Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Toilets

I was at a meeting today about an hour from home.  It was held at a beautiful brand new school that was built for a 1000 students, but they only have an enrollment of 350.  Not sure if they overestimated when they were building, or if the projections for future enrollment drove the decision to build this big.

Although the building was huge, the room we met in was not.  Like our school, there was a lot of unusable space - like really wide corridors and courtyards - but they don't have a room big enough for all the staff to meet in one space.  Its crystal clear that the architects and builders never had a conversation with the folks who would be occupying the space.  Incredible, considering how much money has been, and will be spent, constructing these schools.

And that brings me to the toilet.  Ok.  Stop reading now if this is leaning into "too much information" territory.

OK.  You've been forewarned.

Round 1.

I visited several in the building, just to be sure one wasn't a fluke.  None of them had toilet paper.  Its not just that they didn't have any, there wasn't a spot for it, in any of the restrooms, or toilets, as they're called here.

How can that be?  What are you supposed to do?  I'm in the habit of bringing a small package of tissues in my purse, so I was good, but . . . really?  They did have paper towels but they were coarse and clearly not designed to be used like toilet tissue. Again, guys designing this?  This school has a Western principal.  You'd think she would have modified them to add the tissue.

Round 2.

After the meeting, I had to go by the ADEC Office to pick up some forms.  I stopped by the restroom there, too.  This time, there was tissue paper, but no toilet seat. Guys would love this because there was no seat to have to remember to put down. Of course, you have to brace yourself from not falling in if you're brave enough to take the plunge, so to speak.

I know I should be spending my time thinking about productive things - the family, the job, world hunger, etc. - but the differences in my toilet experiences intrigue me.  Remember the hole in the ground at the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi?

I've got Arabic class in an hour or so, and I seriously need to review.  I was sick last time we met, but I went because I didn't want to have to makeup the class.  Although it's been good, I'm ready for it to be over.

Last thing.

I was tickled at some of your responses to my "Pregnant" post.  Believe me, if I was in a relationship, or even the prospect of one, it's been so long, I'd shout it from the rooftops.  Actually, that's what keeping me motivated in this Arabic class.  I figure I'll increase my chances if I can talk to the man.  If the conversation happened today and involved more than just random 3-4 letter words, I'd be up a creek.  Of course, he could be my private tutor.  This might work our after all.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Your blogging buddy




No comments:

Post a Comment