Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Exotic Food

In continuing my quest to try new fruits and vegetables, a couple of days ago I purchased some longan fruit, commonly known as dragon eyes.  This was a recommendation from my oldest son Ben, who enjoyed this tropical treat when he lived in Indonesia.

Longan Fruit, commonly known as Dragon Eyes


They're about the size of a grape with a thin brown skin.  When it's peeled it looks like a eye because the seed resembles the pupil of the eye - shiny and coal black. Kind of eerie looking, thus the name, dragon eyes.  In spite of its ominous appearance, it was quite good.  Sweet.

Inside of the Dragon Eye



I also picked up some quail eggs.  I had no desire to eat them, but this is the first time I've seen anything like that and I wanted to show you.  They, too, are about the size of grapes.

Quail Eggs


Just googled them.   They are safe to eat and it takes four or five of them to equal a regular size chicken egg.  I think I'm going to boil these.  I'll let you know how that turns out soon.

Side note - One of my favorite maternity dresses when I was carrying Ben, looked a like these eggs.  I wore that dress through three consecutive years of pregnancies. I just wore it out.

Moving on . . .

I went to the dentist today and liked him a lot.

Interestingly, many of the kids here have really poor dental health.  Lots of rotting teeth, begging for attention.  It isn't because the nationals lack the money, so I'm not sure why this issue seems so widespread.  Conversely, I've seen more folks with braces than I expected and they're, without exception, all adults.

Luther and I are going to Abu Dhabi again tomorrow.  Yep.  Another meeting.  In fact, they are scheduled three weeks in a row.  I don't mind really.  The drive is very nice and it's always enlightening chatting with colleagues from different schools, in different areas.

As I write this, I'm munching on pretzels.  You know how they're available in large, sometimes huge, bags?  Not so here.  When I bought these recently, it's the first time I'd seen any since I arrived.  This bag is about the size of a bag of potato chips.

I'm still waiting on boxes from the US.  The vibrating one is way overdue.  Once discovered in Pennsylvania, do you think they labeled it, "vibrator inside?"  And do you think because of that simple declaration it was pulled aside and examined at every stop?  I can't wait to get that one.

Well, I've had two late nights and I'm way too old for that nonsense.

With that, goodnight/good morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment