Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

This 'n That

School supply stores are called Book Shops here.  It's 8:30pm and I'm just getting home from a Book Shop run.  In addition to school supplies, there are textbooks, toys, electronics, a flower shop and gift wrapping at this store, the largest one in town.  It's open until 11:00pm.

On the way home from work, traffic was stopped one way causing a massive bottleneck.  The roads were closed for runners.  There was hundreds of them and they were wearing numbers like they were in competition, but they were running like kids in gym class.  Some were sho' nuf' sprinting, others looked like they were on Sunday morning stroll, and still others were walking.  They were all young guys.  I think they may have been associated with the military college that I pass by everyday.  Folks in the cars were chatting with them.  Of course, I'm not sure what was being said, but it seemed like friendly exchanges.  Why they decided to do this in rush hour traffic is a question I'd like to ask the organizer.

Speaking of organization, I asked my Arabic teacher, who is Lebanon, if the fact that there are no addresses is unique to the UAE or is that indicative of all of the Middle East.  He said it's all over this region, and he said that in comparison to our neighboring countries, the UAE is very organized, and light years ahead.

Amazing, right?

After that conversation, I scratched all of the Middle Eastern countries from my bucket list.  Although, in all fairness, this issue is less of a problem when you're just visiting.

Just had a wonderful video chat with my brothers.  I called Forrest and Willie dropped by.  Two birds with one stone or two brothers with one call.  I have no idea how all of this technology works.  I'm still clueless as to how radios work, but I'm so thankful for my geeky brethren who makes communication so exciting.  Can you imagine what it'll be like when my baby girl Zadie is grown?  Super, supersonic probably.

OK.  Now it's almost 10:00 and I have to memorialize a couple of meetings.  One of them happened a few days ago.  There were about a half dozen of us in the conference room and the secretary, who is subbing for the permanent one who is out on maternity leave, was invited in to take notes.  This was the first time any support staff was used in that capacity, but this was modeled for us during one of our Abu Dhabi administration meetings.

Anyway, the meeting was chugging along at a surprisingly brisk pace, but I noticed your girl wasn't taking notes.  I thought that was a little strange as that was her express job that day.  She looked like she was watching a tennis match, moving her head from side to side following all of the conversations.  The one hour meeting turned into three.  It slowed way down about half way.  Still, nothing has been recorded.  By this time, I just assume she has a great memory, or maybe by a recorder under her abaya, because there is no way she could remember everything without some kind of reference point, i.e. notes.

Well, she informed the principal after the meeting that she didn't know how to take notes.  I'm guessing that was part of it, but if we were giving out prizes for the least productive staff members, she would win it hands down.  She rarely moves from her desk.  She's usually chatting with someone or on the phone.  When you ask her a question, her response is either "No" or "I don't know."

So, this is the first meeting I need to memorialize.  I took notes, but not as thoroughly as I would have if I needed to share them, but I'll do my best to capture the high points.  The other meeting happened today.  No big deal there.

It's late though.

Prepare notes.

Watch Glee.

Notes.

Glee.

OK.  Glee it is.

More soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment